Can I sue if I Was involved in a Hit & Run Car Accident in New York?

If you have been involved in a hit and run car accident you should contact an attorney as soon as possible. Our law firm is experienced in representing victims of hit and run car accidents in New York. If you have been injured in a hit and run car accident in New York there is certain information you should be aware of. First of all, there is insurance coverage for all injured parties in every hit & run accident, provided certain conditions are met. If you own a car and have liability insurance, as is required by law, then your own automobile insurance policy will provide hit and run coverage. Additionally, if you were in a car owned by someone else, there insurance may provide coverage. The coverage will be provided whether you were driving, a passenger, using a vehicle, or a pedestrian. Insurance coverage may be provided to you of you reside in a household where a motor vehicle is registered, even if you are not the owner of that motor vehicle. Such coverage will be called "uninsured motorist coverage" or be abbreviated as "UM" coverage. By law, each insurance policy will provide Uninsured Motorist Coverage in a minimum amount of $25,000 per person and $50,000 per accident. You can pay for higher coverage amounts, and it is highly recommended that you do as the additional premium will be cheap compared to the potential benefit. Thus if you are involved in a hit & run accident you will seek compensation for pain & suffering as a result of the injuries incurred from the car accident from your own insurance company. It is highly advised that you consult with an attorney to explore all of your rights and obtain maximum compensation for the injuries suffered in the hit & run accident. You will also be entitled to no fault benefits to pay for medical expenses and other out of pocket expenses. If you are not covered under any private automobile insurance coverage policy, you still may be entitled to compensation under the New York State run Motor Vehicle Accident Indemnification Corporation ("MVAIC"). There are requirements that must be met before you are entitled to compensation for a hit and run accident in New York. For example the vehicle that did the hitting and running must actually have come in contact with you or the vehicle you were in or using. It is not enough that the other vehicle cut you off without contact, or almost hit you causing an accident. The accident may also need to be reported to the police within 24 hours, or as soon as practicable. Further, if you want to recover for pain and suffering you will have to show that your injuries meet the threshold as set by the "No-Fault" Insurance Laws. If you are injured in an a hit and run car accident in New York you should consult with a NY attorney that handles hit and run car accidents as soon as possible to discuss and protect your rights. At Zalman Schnurman & Miner we handle hit and run car accident cases, as well as all type of motor vehicle accident cases, and are happy to provide a free consultation to discuss your case. - Marc Miner. Esq. Zalman Schnurman & Miner P.C. is a New York law firm that concentrates in personal injury actions such as construction accidents, motor vehicle accidents, bicycle accidents, premises liability, trip and falls, slip and falls, snow and ice cases, medical malpractice, traumatic brain injuries, etc. Learn more at, or contact us at 1-800-LAWLINE, or 1-800-529-5463 Zalman Schnurman & Miner P.C. handles personal injury actions in New York City, Bronx, Brooklyn, Manhattan, Queens, Staten Island, Nassau County, Suffolk County, Westchester County, and Rockland County. We can often refer you to attorneys in other areas that we have worked with in the past. The information provided here is for informational purposes only and is not meant as legal advice or to cover all possible facts or factors. An attorney should be consulted to discuss specific facts and laws.

Our Office

1430 Broadway, Manhattan, NY 10018 Suite 1802

Office is between 39th and 40th Street

Click here to get directions to our office

Copyright © 2023 Zalman Schnurman & Miner P.C. All Rights Reserved